Thursday, May 29, 2008

The most successful people are those who are good at plan B.
~ James Yorke


Well...I wouldn't call me successful.
Just good at accepting Plan B's.
Because really, what other choice does one usually have.

Sorry it's taken so long.

Flight was horrible.
Supposed to leave Midwest at 5:30pm on the 14th.
Flight was late, didn't end up leaving until 8:30pm.
Hence my flight arrived 10 minutes after my connecting flight departed.
Was told United in Washington, where my layover was, would put me up in a free hotel for the night since the next flight overseas wasn't until 10:50pm on the 15th.
Of course, what they didn't know, was that the Annual National Police Memorial week was taking place, hence there were no available hotel rooms. Anywhere.
And seeing as how Murphy is my brudda from anudda mudda...
My cell phone was packed in my checked luggage and I couldn't call Marikay, who was there and had a nice, cozy hotel room dagnabit.
So myself, and another guy that was on all the same flights, along with other various travelers got to spend 24 hours at the airport.
Yippie-ki-ay.
A janitor had pity on us at some odd hour and told us that the chairs in the Chapel had no arm rests.
Yep. Me. In a chapel.
And lighting didn't strike.
Slept miserably on and off...but it was better than chairs with armrests.
And thankfully...my traveling friend, Ibraham, who was a 20 year old party animal...was the perfect gentleman.
He totally took good care of me.
Carried around my two 40lb carry-ons. Pushed my wheelchair. Went and got our food and drinks and refused to let me pay.
And finally...the next day around noon...when a hotel room finally opened, but United refused to pay for at that point, he wouldn't let me pay for that either...but willingly gave me the bed and took the couch so that we could catch some decent sleep before having to get back to the airport for our next flight.
We then had a layover in Qatar, his hometown, where I got to meet all of his family (whom I'd spoken on the phone with several times and whom I told had every reason to be very proud of their son!)...and then I almost missed my next connecting flight thanks to their hospitality...
Almost.
So...the jist of it is, a 16 hour flight...took 3 days.
Oy.
So, I'm here...and other things have been going on, and I'm exhausted and have a good day or two, but busy, busy with the other things (which I'll get into next post) and then I'm down for a day or two.
Still having HUGE trouble adjusting my sleep schedule, so that's not helping.
Thanking my lucky stars that Moby is here with me.
Again, sorry it took so long.
Back to bed.
Hope everyone is well;)

7 comments:

jbgrinch said...

God it is good to see you post again, I hope that you catch up on your sleep and pleas post again soon.

Random Musings said...

I have been checking every day.
Glad you are there and safe... Look forward to your adventures when you are up to it!!

Heather said...

wow.

You would think, with the prices that the public has to pay for the tickets, they would be able to get their shit together.
Sorry to hear you had such a rough flight.
Happy as hell you arrived safely.
Rest away!

-h. said...

I'm glad you're there and safe. XOXO to you and the mobester.

Lisa said...

I'm so glad to see your post. I've been wondering how you were making out. Keep us updated

Lunasea said...

Damn. Glad you've arrived safely and that the trip's over. Now the fun begins!

MissT said...

You ARE a good plan B'er..I would have lost my shit. Glad to see you made it there a'ight :)